Winter Frosty Tag

It was a green Christmas here in Nova Scotia and very mild, more like fall weather. However, the past few days it's been very cold and we've been getting some snow.  Today it is storming and the snow is coming down steadily. The pine tree branches in my back yard are covered and looking very pretty! Snow covered trees is the inspiration for my winter tag.

click to enlarge

close-up of glitter
For the background, I used a piece of Core'dination colour core paper and cut a tag using the Tim Holtz tag die. I swiped TH Picket Fence distress stain across the whole surface and let dry. Then I embossed the tag using a snowflake embossing folder ("Northern Flurry" -older one by Stampin' Up). I really like this folder and use it a lot as the embossing is only in the upper to middle left corner, leaving a blank area near the bottom right for stamping or adding layers. Next step was to sand off some of the raised areas showing the blue core of the paper. I swiped TH Brushed Pewter distress paint around all the edges and very lightly over the embossed snowflakes. Went to my die-cut stash and added snowflakes cut from silver mirror paper and put a dot of Stickles glitter in the middle.

The icicle border at the top of the tag was cut from acrylic sheet  (See previous post "Deer Frame". I had an idea and didn't go with it!) It is covered it with Stickles Star Dust glitter  ("Icicle Border" by Cottage Cutz)

Next I cut a white tree using the Tim Holtz large tree die. I put a thin layer of Stampin' Up Crystal Effects all around the edge and pressed some Twinklets Irridescent Diamond  Dust Glass Glitter into it, and let dry. This is actual shards of glass and you have to be very careful pressing it; however, when it is firmly dried in glue, it isn't sharp. I love how it looks like sparkly crusted snow! The tiny bird is a die by Impression Obsession cut from silver glitter paper and tail feathers covered in Pink Stickles glitter.

I got a new set of Tim Holtz Seasonal Thinlit word dies for Christmas which I used to cut the winter wishes from silver mirror cardstock.

White sheer & silver tinsel ribbon, along with silver corded ribbon on the bottom, completes the tag.

CHALLENGES:

Our Creative Corner Christmas Leftovers:  Icicle border, leftover ribbon bits from my stash, and leftover silver snowflake die-cuts

Really Reasonable Ribbon Look what I got:  New Tim Holtz Seasonal Thinlit word dies

Allsorts Challenge Cold Frosty Colours 

ABC Challenge - Anything Goes

Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes

Sharon
Jan. 4/2015







17 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon, This is a gorgeous tag! You used some of my favorite products to create this sweet creation. Love the way the silver mirror paper makes the words and snowflake pop.
    Thank you for joining us at Our Creative Corner for this month’s challenge “Christmas Leftovers”
    Happy Crafting,
    Xxx Laurie DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tag, Sharon! Perfectly portrays winter! I also received TH seasonal word dies for Christmas and have been using them. Good luck with the challenges--I'm sure you'll be a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome cold and frosty card Sharon and absolutely perfect for our theme, thanks so much for joining in at Allsorts this week.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Tag, love the design, papers and the embellishments. Thanks for joining us at ABC, good luck with the challenge. hugs Shirleyxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very pretty! I love the textured background! Thank you so much for joining the Anything Goes Challenge on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous tag!! I love the frosty blue tones with all the white snow and glittery tinsel, brrrr! Wonderful use of all your leftover bits, I just love it!

    Thank you so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner for our 'Christmas Leftovers' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous love all the texture with the glitter. I think this is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous tag.Thanks for joining Allsorts challenge. Good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely tag, very frosty and perfect for the challenge this week. Thank you for joining in Allsorts 'Cold & Frosty Colours' challenge and good luck x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous tag. Thanks for sharing with us at ABC Challenges.

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sharon - What a pretty tag. It is summer here in the Southern Hemisphere and so blisteringly hot right now, your tag though helped me feel a little cooler. Thanks for playing along at OCC.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is STUNNING! Thanks for sharing with us, and please join us again soon. I can't wait to see more from you.
    Blessings,
    Karen
    Really Reasonable Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. This would be perfect for the challenge right now at Classy Cards N Such here:

    http://classycardsnsuch.blogspot.com/2015/01/ccns-challenge-66-teal-snowflakes.html

    But today is the last day to enter that one, but it's a great challenge to enter.

    Also, I'd LOVE having you share your talents at my challenge blog if you would be so kind. We have weekly Anything Goes challenges, and I'd just LOVE to have you share your amazing art at Word Art Wednesday here:

    www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

    God bless,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great project. Thanks so much for playing with us at Really Reasonable Ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely frosty blue tag with a little touch of glitter.
    Thanks so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner this time, Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous Tag! I just LOVE the colors!! My favorite entry in the RRR challenge :0) I love all the glitter!
    Thank you for joining us at
    Really Reasonable Ribbon!!
    Hugs
    Heather

    ReplyDelete