Tim Holtz Twelve Days of Christmas Tags - Day 6

(Click on the title of this post to go directly to Tim's blog - Day 6 tag)

Well, I think this might be my last tag for now - I have to say that I would rather craft than do housework, decorate for christmas, bake shortbread cookies, etc. My sisters would not be happy without their yearly gift of shortbread (they don't bake!!!)  I have certainly enjoyed learning new techniques while doing the tags; however, mastering the techniques to get a tag worth posting takes more time than I expected.

Day 6 was all about embossing metal; painting, sanding, distressing with ink and embossing it with clear EP. The folder I used is an older Cuttlebug one - "Holly". I found it quite relaxing painting the image, and the whole process went quite well (unlike the frustration of the cracked finish in Day 4 tag).

double click to enlarge pic

close-up of metal background

My metal sheet is gold (Tim used silver). At first, I was going to leave the background as it was, but then decided to paint it beige. After sanding and distressing with the walnut stain, I'm glad I did that step as it gives a nice, aged "patina".

I think I took more time deciding what I was going to add for embellishments, than doing the technique!  I had several different ideas; using a verse tag/ticket; stamping and fussy cutting a poinsetta. However, I wanted to keep most of the embossed, painted image showing so kept it rather plain except for the decoration at the top.

I'm amazed at the finish after doing all the steps. The tag doesn't seem like it is made with metal - it almost feels like leather! Neat!

Sharon
Dec.7/2011

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Sharon, your metal painting is fantastic! I really love what you did with this one. That embossing folder is perfect for this technique! Learning these new techniques is wonderful - like taking a class a day from Tim Holtz (do you know how much it costs to attend his classes???). So even if you have to take a small break (and I may have to too), you can always go back and pick up where you left off. Just have fun!
    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete